Saturday 15 March 2008

It's here... It came with a title!

My Xaphoon turned up! Yay, ready to start playing beautiful music!

Well, it's a little harder than that!

The closest I have ever come to playing a reed instrument is when I've blown one of those party noisemakers. This is a sound I have been able to make with the Xaphoon along with various squeeks, squarks and varying pitched, ear splitting notes. I have managed to hit the correct notes a few times and even play parts of scales but then something just changes and it's back to squeeks and squarks. The video makes it look so easy!!!?

My respect for Saxophone, Clarinet, Oboe and all of the other woodwind players has gone up a few (more) notches.

Now my cheeks are sore, I may need to take a break and come back to it later (today)...

It didn't really come with a title but if it did I would henceforth and furthermore and somesuch like to be known as...

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
His Most Noble Lord Malcolm the Eerie of Throcking in the Hole
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

7 comments:

Louise Dalton said...

Hey Malcolm, Good to hear that you are getting in touch with your musicality!
Have I mentioned I am teaching a photography class? (I'm getting in touch with my technical side!)It is quite a challenge, as I have not done any film photography for quite a while. It's amazing how it all comes back!
Cheers, Lou.

Malcolm Garth said...

Excellent, that explains the increased photographic theme of your blog! I am currently trying to justify a panoramic film camera and then a trip around this great country to take heaps of spectacular scenery like Ken Duncan (only better)!

Louise Dalton said...

I do like how you always 'dream big' Mal!
I'm just trying to deal with a standard 35mm SLR camera and 125 B&W film, and all the associated darkroom processing.... as well as how to convey that to 15 and 16 year olds....
All the photos on my blog are done either on the digital camera, or at times, (shock horror,) my camera phone! But I am a lot more aware of photography and light at the moment, as well as having lots of amazing new things to photograph.....
I'm hoping to do some B&W film photography over Easter and the school holidays, and process it myself, so I'll share that on the blog once it has happened.
Cheerio, Lou.

Malcolm Garth said...

B&W has lots to offer, we get access to the darkroom at school after Easter, can't wait. I may need to add a blog post about it! Have fun.

Malcolm Garth said...

PS: In writing my blog entry I realised just how much I learned from dad about photography and black and white and darkroom when I was 8 - 16 years old. I didn't want to do it then but now I'm passionate about it!

Let's hope this current crop don't take as long as I did to start working towards their passions.

Keep up the good work!

kharman said...

How is the music coming along. Hope your not out of breath yet.

Malcolm Garth said...

Hi Kharman, thanks for popping in... I can blow a set of nice notes now. It takes a bit of thinking to get the correct note next but it isn't as hard as it was a week ago.

I looked at some saxophones today and they are definitely easier to blow, so more practice with the xaphoon and maybe a sax is in the future...