Wednesday 21 May 2008

Hmmm. Still more choices... And an assignment...

Do I need another camera? No, not really (he says with that dejected child who has just had their favourite toy removed look)...

Do I need other gear to take professional quality images...? I could do that now... But there is always something else I could use. ALWAYS!

What gear would give me the greatest advances?

As the title of my blog suggests, "It's All About Light"... The thing that I have the most to gain from is to learn how to manipulate light to my advantage.

This week in class we started the digital imaging basics - straight to photoshop to adjust levels, curves, colour etc... With a rundown of how digital capture works and some of its advantages and disadvantages.

The Assignment...

Our assignment this week is to take 6 images of moving water with special emphasis on getting the exposure correct (I'm not sure why there should be "special" emphasis on exposure, that should always be the aim)...

One of the blogs I visit on a fairly regular basis is the Strobist site. There they show you all sorts of creative, innovative and amazing methods of lighting subjects with "off camera" flash systems. I'm sure that if I search there I will find some ideas for my assignment.

This is the next step for me... Changing the plan and putting the Hasselblad back and bringing the extra lights (Nikon SB800's) forward.

Now that I can "officially" shoot digital images in my course I will try to put more images up here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - so so SO many choices.

Maybe "all about light" could be a subconscious message about releasing all these dreams of possessions and lightening the load a little???

Just an idea...

Signed,
the little
(very quiet)
voice in your head saying
"Do you REALLY need that?"

Malcolm Garth said...

Ahhh, there you are. My subconscious... What I really need to do is get my portfolio happening. It's due in less than a month. Less thinking about gear and more thinking about taking photos...