Friday 30 October 2009

Unbelievable...

I have finally picked up my 5 x 4 inch negatives from the lab... I used my new pinhole camera and managed to get the exposures somewhat near close to correct...

I am amazed at the quality of the images considering that they were taken with what is effectively a box painted black inside with the tiniest of pinholes in the front... No lenses, no viewfinders, no menus, no batteries... Woo Hoo!

I think I might enjoy more "slow photography"...

The camera comes in three sections and each has a focal length roughly equivalent to 25mm in 35mm film... So when you add them together you start at 25mm, then 50mm, then 75mm focal lengths. There is a pinhole and a zone plate for each focal length and I forgot to change it for the photo below of the seed pods... I think this is why it isn't as sharp as it could be... Just for reference the focal length for this one was 75mm the aperture was f216 and the exposure time was 96 minutes!!! The various seed pods look amazing and I've yet to take an image of them that does them justice...



The second image is of a flowering plant that I'm sure someone will know the name of and was the first image I took with the camera... It is about a 90 second exposure so you there is some movement int the flower heads but I like the look of this image too...


I don't use my scanner very often and I've just remembered why! It's the most user unfriendly piece of software I have ever used. The scanner itself is great and does a very good job but trying to work out how to select the image to be scanned and then working out how to actually scan it requires opening the instruction manual every single time!!!

No comments: