Thursday 8 November 2007

Photographers first day...

Well, I've had my first day with my new employer... I processed some images, tried to learn how to send off images to the printer (most user unfriendly program ever devised!!!), learned a bit about how things work and suggested to Mark (the boss) that maybe a server would be better than having images on every computer in the place...

My first wedding, as an assistant, is on tomorrow with another one on Sunday... Nothing like getting started... The pay is ok as an assistant but to be the lead photographer is a much better wage so working towards that will be the next step. Mark also wants me to do sales and when the studio is set up portraiture.

It looks like this will be a fun and exciting learning experience. Bring it on!
School last night was good too. The girls are starting to look at me everytime there is mention of a piece of equipment as they think I might already have one. So far it seems I have... It has made me realise that my business really did do ok and I got some nice toys from it. The trouble is that cash is flowing out at a bit faster rate than it is coming in at present and the next round of toys might have to wait a while... Oh well, I should use up the toys I have before I get any more anyway...
We learned a little more about aperture and how it has an affect on the depth of field. There was some discussion about circles of confusion (Imagine sharp focus as a pinpoint. Anything in front or behind the item in sharp focus will be out of focus. The human eye cannot distinguish between a pinpoint and a small circle. The items that are in front of or behind the focus point will create small circles of light rather than a pinpoint. This allows for an area before and after the pinpoint to appear sharp with human eyesight) and I think Brian will discuss hyperfocal distance with us next week. Imaging using a magnifying glass to burn paper. To do this you have to focus the light to as sharper point as you can. If you lift the magnifying glass away from the paper, or towards it, you will get a circle of light that is not sharp enough to create heat once it is over a certain size...
Oh well... It makes sense to me...

No comments: